In-Office Medical Procedures Specialist Questions and Answers
If you would like to know more about the in-office procedures we offer, contact us here at PACS Urgent Care! Call us today for more information. We have convenient locations to serve you in Alexandria VA, and Ruther Glen VA!
The field of in-office medical surgery (also known as office-based or ambulatory surgery), has expanded rapidly in recent years, and continues to do so. Since most patients wish to avoid a post-surgical overnight stay in hospital, office-based procedures have become popular as the patient is able to go home the same day. This frees up hospital-based medical professionals to focus their attention on patients with more critical needs.
What Are Considered In-Office Medical Procedures?
In-office medical procedures are surgical or invasive procedures performed by a physician in a location other than a hospital or ambulatory surgery center. They are typically performed in a special area within the doctor’s office, and include (but are not limited) to:
- Joint injections – steroids injected into a joint such as a knee, ankle or wrist and used in the treatment of inflammatory joint conditions, such as rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, gout, tendinitis, bursitis and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
- Abscess drainage – a procedure using a small incision in an infected area that allows the pus inside to drain. A numbing agent is typically used on the surrounding skin prior to the incision.
- Laceration repair – of a tear or cut in the skin, tissue and/or muscle that can vary in length, depth and width. A laceration that is bleeding profusely should be seen at an Emergency Room
- Wart treatment – usually done by a freezing therapy called cryotherapy that involves applying liquid nitrogen to the wart. This causes a blister to form under and around the wart, and the dead tissue flakes off within a week or so.
- Skin tag removal – should only be done by a medical professional, who can remove skin tags quickly, and with very little discomfort. They can either be snipped off using sharp, sterile scissors or can be removed by freezing or burning with a special solution. Small tags are mostly painless – patients feel no more than a pinprick. Larger tags will be removed after a numbing medication has been applied to the skin.
- Foreign Body Removal – the removal of an object that has been inserted (either accidentally or intentionally) into the body that isn’t meant to be there.
What Are Minor Medical Procedures?
Minor medical, or surgical, procedures are those that can be performed in a short period of time (usually in less than an hour) on superficial tissues, usually with local anesthesia and with minimum discomfort to the patient. They do not, under normal circumstances, constitute a major hazard to life or the function of organs or body parts, and have minimal risk of complication requiring hospitalisation. These procedures do not usually require postoperative resuscitation and can be easily and safely performed during a clinic visit.
What Is the Most Commonly Performed In-Office Procedure?
Research indicates that cataract removal is the most commonly performed office based medical procedure, however not all clinics offer this treatment so it is important to do your research.
What Are Some of The Minor Medical Procedures Performed at PACS Urgent Care?
- Ear irrigation (wax removal)
- Abscess incision and drainage
- Laceration/wound repair
- Mole removal – using either shave excision (using a thin razor like tool to carefully remove the mole) or surgical excision (removing the mole and suturing the wound).
- Wart removal
- Skin biopsy – the removal of skin cells for laboratory analysis
- Lipoma/cyst excision
- Sutures (stitches)
- Splinting – to immobilise injured body parts
- IV therapy – an intravenous way of delivering fluids, medication and nutrients
- Removal of foreign body
We offer a wide range of medical services including urgent care, digital X-rays, lab testing, DOT physicals, immunizations, pediatric urgent care & much more. For more information, call us today or simply visit us. We serve patients from Alexandria VA, Ruther Glen VA, Bagdad VA, Athens VA, Balty VA, and Doswell VA.
Additional Services You May Need
▸ Walk-In Urgent Care
▸ Urgent Care
▸ Digital X-Ray
▸ Lab Testing
▸ DOT Physicals
▸ Primary Care
▸ General Medical Care
▸ Urinary Tract Infection Treatment
▸ Abdominal Pain Treatment
▸ Wound Care Clinic
▸ Confidential STD Testing