In-Office Medical Procedures Specialist in Alexandria, and Ruther Glen VA
If you would like to know more about the in-office procedures we offer, contact us here at PACS Urgent Care. In-office procedures offered at our urgent care walk-in clinic include joint injections, abscess drainage, wart treatment, skin tag removal, skin biopsy, lacerations treatment and much more. For more information, contact us today or online check-in. We have convenient locations to serve you in Alexandria VA, and Ruther Glen VA.
Table of Contents:
What Are Considered In-Office Medical Procedures?
What Are Minor Medical Procedures?
What Is the Most Commonly Performed In-Office Procedure?
What Are Some of The Minor Medical Procedures Performed at PACS Urgent Care?
The field of in-office medical surgery (also known as office-based or ambulatory surgery), has expanded rapidly in recent years, and continues to do so. Since most patients wish to avoid a post-surgical overnight stay in hospital, office-based procedures have become popular as the patient is able to go home the same day. This frees up hospital-based medical professionals to focus their attention on patients with more critical needs.
In-office medical procedures are surgical or invasive procedures performed by a physician in a location other than a hospital or ambulatory surgery center. They are typically performed in a special area within the doctor’s office, and include (but are not limited) to:
• Joint injections – steroids injected into a joint such as a knee, ankle or wrist and used in the treatment of inflammatory joint conditions, such as rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, gout, tendinitis, bursitis and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
• Abscess drainage – a procedure using a small incision in an infected area that allows the pus inside to drain. A numbing agent is typically used on the surrounding skin prior to the incision.
• Laceration repair – of a tear or cut in the skin, tissue and/or muscle that can vary in length, depth and width. A laceration that is bleeding profusely should be seen at an Emergency Room
• Wart treatment – usually done by a freezing therapy called cryotherapy that involves applying liquid nitrogen to the wart. This causes a blister to form under and around the wart, and the dead tissue flakes off within a week or so.
• Skin tag removal – should only be done by a medical professional, who can remove skin tags quickly, and with very little discomfort. They can either be snipped off using sharp, sterile scissors or can be removed by freezing or burning with a special solution. Small tags are mostly painless – patients feel no more than a pinprick. Larger tags will be removed after a numbing medication has been applied to the skin.
• Foreign Body Removal – the removal of an object that has been inserted (either accidentally or intentionally) into the body that isn’t meant to be there.
Minor medical, or surgical, procedures are those that can be performed in a short period of time (usually in less than an hour) on superficial tissues, usually with local anesthesia and with minimum discomfort to the patient. They do not, under normal circumstances, constitute a major hazard to life or the function of organs or body parts, and have minimal risk of complication requiring hospitalisation. These procedures do not usually require postoperative resuscitation and can be easily and safely performed during a clinic visit.
Research indicates that cataract removal is the most commonly performed office based medical procedure, however not all clinics offer this treatment so it is important to do your research.
• Ear irrigation (wax removal)
• Abscess incision and drainage
• Laceration/wound repair
• Mole removal – using either shave excision (using a thin razor like tool to carefully remove the mole) or surgical excision (removing the mole and suturing the wound).
• Wart removal
• Skin biopsy – the removal of skin cells for laboratory analysis
• Lipoma/cyst excision
• Sutures (stitches)
• Splinting – to immobilise injured body parts
• IV therapy – an intravenous way of delivering fluids, medication and nutrients
• Removal of foreign body
We offer a wide range of medical services including urgent care, digital X-rays, lab testing, DOT physicals, immunizations, pediatric urgent care & much more. For more information, contact us today or online check-in. We have convenient locations to serve you in Alexandria VA, and Ruther Glen VA. We serve patients from Alexandria VA, Huntington VA, Arlington VA, Ruther Glen VA, Bagdad VA, Athens VA, Doswell VA, and surrounding areas.