Geriatric Care Clinic in Alexandria, and Ruther Glen, VA
Geriatric care is beneficial for the well-being of the elderly. It helps in monitoring their vitals and gives firsthand information about the patient.Our professionals at Premier Acute Care Services (PACS) Urgent Care treat the common and chronic conditions that tend to affect elderly people the most. For more information, contact us today or schedule an appointment online. We have convenient locations to serve you in Alexandria VA, and Ruther glen VA. We serve patients from Alexandria VA, Ruther Glen VA, Bagdad VA, Athens VA, Balty VA, and Doswell VA.
Table of Contents:
What is geriatric care?
What kind of doctor treats the elderly?
Do you provide geriatric medicine treatments in Virginia?
In general, geriatric care refers to healthcare for older adults. It may involve one geriatric specialist, or a team of providers coming together to care for an elderly person, such as a primary care provider, a home care nurse, an internal medicine specialist, and so on.
Older adults are more likely to experience multiple serious or chronic health conditions that require special care and attention. They are also more prone to falls, injuries, and accidents, as their physical strength tends to diminish or if they experience cognitive decline. Geriatric care may involve:
● More regular visits to a primary care provider, with increased attention and screening for chronic or serious health issues
● Regular check-ups and follow-up appointments with a geriatric specialist, particularly if there is a sign of cognitive decline
● Education and discussion around how to maintain health and support with age, including identifying the support needed
● Discussion of adopting the living environment to help aid with the impacts of aging (i.e., using a cane, or walker, or making adjustments in the home to mitigate the impact of stairs, or areas that could be risky for a fall)
At PACS Urgent Care, we are proud to provide comprehensive geriatric care. Whether you are an older adult in need of regular healthcare or a family member seeking care and support for your loved one, we can help. Contact us today to learn about our options and find out what we can do for you.
There are many different doctors that are able to and can play a role in treating the elderly, including a primary care or family doctor, internal medicine specialist, or even an orthopedic surgeon, as many older adults tend to need knee or hip replacement surgeries. However, there is also a specialty known as geriatrics; these physicians are known as geriatricians, and these are the kinds of doctors that commonly treat the elderly.
Geriatricians have spent their medical training learning about, treating, and managing various health issues that impact older adults specifically. Some geriatricians have further sub-specialties, such as psychiatry or palliative care, and can work in many different environments, such as a hospital, an outpatient clinic, or in their own practice, in conjunction with other healthcare practitioners.
Yes. At PACS Urgent Care, we are proud to provide comprehensive geriatric care in Alexandria, and Ruther Glen, VA. Older adults need specific treatment and support, and our specialists can help you or your loved one today. Some of the most common medical issues that impact the geriatric population, and that we can provide treatment for, include:
● Cognitive decline or issues, such as dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. It’s important to know the signs and monitor them since early intervention and treatment can be vital in slowing the progression of such cognitive decline.
● Heart disease, which is actually the leading cause of death in adults over the age of 65
● Osteoarthritis and osteoporosis, which is low or minimal bone mass and/or brittle bones. This can be particularly serious if the senior experiences a fall, which is also very common.
● Type 2 diabetes. In some cases, this can be managed via diet, but some older adults will need the support of insulin.
● Influenza, pneumonia, and other viruses or infections. As a younger person, you may be able to fight off these viruses with minimal disruption, but they can be very serious for older adults, as their immune systems tend to be weaker and more vulnerable.
● Vision and hearing loss, which may require things like hearing aids, a stronger eyeglass prescription, or in some cases surgeries or procedures related to the eyes (such as cataracts)
For more information, contact us today or schedule an appointment online. We have convenient locations to serve you in Alexandria VA, and Ruther glen VA. We serve patients from Alexandria VA, Ruther Glen VA, Bagdad VA, Athens VA, Balty VA, and Doswell VA.
Additional Services You May Need
▸ Walk-In Urgent Care
▸ Urgent Care
▸ Digital X-Ray
▸ Lab Testing
▸ DOT Physicals
▸ Urinary Tract Infection Treatment
▸ Abdominal Pain Treatment
▸ Confidential STD Testing
▸ Drug Screening